Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Pumpkins and Pollinators: Part One

As I write this, my house is full with the scent of baking pumpkin.  I believe there are few more satisfying things in life than scooping out a pumpkin, baking it, then using it to bake pie served with butter pecan ice cream after a good hot dinner.

This would only be topped by having grown the pumpkin myself - maybe next year.  I hope.

Today is the autumnal equinox, and I can't think of a better activity to celebrate by than pumpkin alchemy.  I have to admit that many times I have thrown away the seeds out of sheer laziness, but today I carefully extracted them and toasted them with butter in a cast iron pan.  Yum.

So here's to the changing of the seasons, the harvest, and the better aspects of humanity - like its ability to invent things like butter, cast iron pans, and pie.

But.  Since this day is also an acknowledgment of the balance of dark and light, I am constrained to point out a little darkness.  Like the fact that most people who make pumpkin pies do so with canned pumpkin.

Maybe compared to genocide and global warming this isn't such a travesty.  Or maybe it is.  Tune in next time to find out.


4 comments:

  1. Very thought provoking for me, how the little things we do effect the greater whole of ourselves and the world around us. I also would love to exercise the patience and toast the seeds, or even bake a homemade pumpkin pie. Kudos to you for your patience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's less patience than passion though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear lord. You can make pumpkin pies without canned pumpkin?! Somebody shoot me, really. It's the blonde hair. It's got to be.

    >sweet, sweet post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're actually much much better with fresh pumpkin, and using fresh is only slightly more difficult than opening a can. And more fun.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Search This Blog