And speaking of titles, I have a couple of new ones in my life, which is why it's getting harder for me to post regularly. One of my new titles is "Board Director." I joined the board of Taos Youth Music School, an after school program my son participates in. (Think "School of Rock" - it's awesome.) Another new title is "Quiet Day Coordinator." My friend Cathy and I are planning a quiet day at our church which will occur next Saturday.
I've had the title of "Instructor" for a while now, but at this time of the semester, I have the additional title of "Paper Grader." Oh boy. I've already attended two grading sessions for the exit essays with the other English instructors, and will attend two more next week, in addition to grading all of the final papers for both of my classes.
A title I've had off and on for years, but am now actively pursuing again is "Self-Employed Writer & Editor." I've started a business called "Illuminated Manuscripts" which offers professional writing and editing services. My slogan is "We'll polish it until it shines." Here's the logo I designed:
I just got my first contract with UNM-Taos to write grants for their campus expansion! If you need anything written, edited or proofread, let me know.
Thanks to the Postman, I also now have the title of "Superior Scribbler." Thanks, Postman!
So the rules of the game are that you're supposed to:
- Thank whoever nominated you for it...
- Post, paste, or patch the award's image onto your own blog...
- Tell your readers seven things they don't yet know about you...
- Pass it along to seven more bloggers...
- And notify them personally when you have done so.
1. I am a follower of the Eat Right 4 Your Type diet., and have been for almost a year. My blood type is O positive. I've heard a lot of arguments against this diet, but it's worked great for me, not just in terms of weight loss, but overall health and sense of wellbeing.
2. I smoke hand-rolled cigarettes, Drum brand. The last of my nasty habits from the good old days of debauchery.
3. I can tell you what year a book was published within five years by smelling it.
4. I love to make collages. Here's one I made for someone after I posted here about needing to show thanks to certain people in my life:
5. I've had some really nutty jobs. Years ago, I did Tarot readings for LaToya Jackson's psychic line. I also did singing telegrams for a while, but got fired because I sucked so bad.
6. My Myers-Briggs personality type is INFP. It used to be INTP - I'm pretty borderline between Thinking and Feeling. It changed after I had kids.
7. As a kid, I was obsessed with the band, Kiss. My mom took me to the concert at Maple Leaf Gardens when I was 10 or 11. Destroyer was my favorite album. I had 43 Kiss posters up in my room, and threw a yearly birthday party for Paul Stanley. I dressed up as him for Halloween once.
Now I'm supposed to give this award to seven other bloggers. This is the hard part, because I'd like to award every blog I follow.
1. The first blog I'd like to award is Whatever else my life is...it is also this dazzling darkness. Rebecca has been a major inspiration in my blogging (and spiritual) life lately. She lives in Alaska and loves snow. She's an amazing photographer and writer, and reading her blog always brings me a feeling of peace.
2. Dan Gurney at A Mindful Heart gets the next award. Dan is a kindergarten teacher - he's taught at the same school for 29 years! His blog is a wonderful mixture of spiritual insight and challenge and simple appreciation for life.
3. Jennifer at One True Self is an amazing woman. She has an aura of childlike wonder and innocence, but has worked very hard in her life to retrieve that. And now she expresses it in her blog in the most honest and moving and helpful ways.
4. Kat and Bet at The Bobwhites also get my vote. I came across their blog via the "Next Blog" button (and this was when it still took you to a totally random blog). These ladies live in different states but grew up together. They blog about everyday things with humor and linguistic dexterity, and they also present wonderful recipes. You would not believe some of the things these ladies have cooked and baked. You should definitely check out their gingerbread houses.
5. Even though the Postman beat me to it, I have to offer this award to the lovely, stylish, savvy, feisty Entrepreneur Chick, whose blog and emails have offered me major encouragement as an entrepreneur. She's also frequently hilarious and highly entertaining.
6. I recently discovered Dreamfarm Girl. This woman is a splendid writer. Her blog covers a lot of territory, from the minute to the cosmic, but she manages to work it all together in a very satisfying way.
7. I have to give this award back to the Postman. His was one of the first blogs I started following, and I still just adore it. He will always have a very special place in my blogging heart. I love his wit and style, and his immaculate vocabulary. His blog is quirky; it covers aviation, cocktail reviews, and strong opinions on a number of things ranging from samurai warriors to cartoons to snack foods. An entertaining, insightful, humorous, and often informative read. I never thought I'd learn so much about aviation - and like it!
That about wraps it up. Which reminds me. Now I get to also carry the titles of "Gift Wrapper," and right now I'm going to be "Holiday Baker." I'm making some truly decadent Bourbon Fruitcake today. Well, starting it today, anyway. It actually takes two weeks of soaking in brandy before it's done.
NO FRUITCAKE JOKES!!! It's my blog, and I'm banning them. I like fruitcake. A lot.